We talked to Rep. Mark Pocan about Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Hollen's decision not to defend the new domestic partnership law, and about the attorney who has been hired to do Hollen's job for him.
We had Ben Monty of Madison's SSBL (Saturday Softball League) on the show to talk about the ASANA 2009 Softball World Series, which will take place here in Madison Sept. 1 to Sept. 5. Highlights of the women's softball tournament include:
- an opening celebration on Willow Island, Alliant Energy Center, from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday
- a softball-themed roller derby bout on Thursday at Alliant's Exposition Hall, 6 p.m.
- BurlesQuepade burlesque and drag show Friday at 9 p.m. at the Majestic on King Street
- a closing celebration on Saturday at 4 p.m., Elver Park
- oh yeah, and a lot of softball games at Elver and Olbrich Parks
Robin Gee of LGBTI Equality Now told us about Cleve Jones' upcoming visit to Madison on August 31. Jones is the founder of the AIDS Memorial Quilt and a long-time friend of Harvey Milk. He is organizing the National Equality March in Washington D.C. on October 10 and 11 (National Coming Out Day) to demand equal rights for the LGBT community in all matters governed by civil law. He'll be here to talk about the march and the importance of pressing for equal right in a talk called "Why We Can't Wait." The talk will be at 7:30 p.m. in room 3650 of the Humanities Building on the UW-Madison campus, 455 N. Park St. The talk is a fundraiser so LGBTI Equality Now can charter buses to the National Equality March, so there is a small fee. For more information call Emily at 314-660-4764 or Jessie at 446-0273.