Representatives of the library have repeatedly stated that the books in the young adult section have been reviewed by respected national library and educational organizations such as the School Library Journal, Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, Booklist of the American Library Association and Kirkus Reviews, and these bodies have rated them as appropriate for young adults.
For more background on this story, listen to our March 11, 2009 Queery episode and visit the following links. Note: Some of the articles characterize the books in question as sexually explicit, but this is a point of contention. The Maziarkas claim that the books are pornographic and sexually explicit, while the board has maintained that the books are neither pornographic nor do they give blow-by-blows* of sex acts, although a few are frank in their discussion of sexual issues.
- Four tossed off West Bend Library Board
- West Bend Library Board Members Removed
- Couple may not pursue ethics complaint in West Bend
- West Bend couple circulate petitions to remove library books they consider obscene
- West Bend library petitioned to take books off teen list