GSAFE Youth Scholarship Application Now Available -- Deadline March 13, 2009!
Scholarships to be presented at May 16, 2009 Celebration of Leadership
The Gay Straight Alliance for Safe Schools (GSAFE) Youth Scholarship awards four high school seniors $1000 each. The recipients of these awards will have demonstrated a commitment to promoting respect for all, especially in a school setting, with an emphasis on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues (LGBT). This scholarship is open to all Wisconsin high school seniors, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
Download the application [link] and apply today!
Examples of student activities that might bring an applicant to the attention of GSAFE include, but are not limited to:
- A student who has been active in the formation or the continuation of a Gay-Straight Alliance.
- A student who has consistently included LGBT materials in his/her/hir coursework.
- A student who has organized an event that has promoted fair treatment and safety for LGBT people.
- A student who has been an active part of community efforts involving LGBT issues.
- A student who has faced and sought to overcome obstacles related to LGBT issues.
Requirements for the Youth Scholarship
- Graduating High School Senior
- Resident of Wisconsin
- Completion of enclosed application
- Two letters of recommendation. One recommendation must be written by a member of your school staff.
- If awarded scholarship: Attendance at GSA for Safe Schools Celebration of Leadership Awards Ceremony in Madison on May 16, 2009.
Application Deadline: All applications must be received by March 13, 2009 and will be kept confidential.
Announcement: April 2009
Submission of the Scholarship Application:
Application can be submitted electronically as a Word attachment or as a hard copy that is hand-delivered, mailed or faxed to the office of:
GSA for Safe Schools
301 S. Bedford Street #1
Madison, WI 53703
For Further Information
Awards Committee, (608) 661-4141 or at scholarship@ gsaforsafeschool s.org. More information, including a PDF and Word version of this application, may be found at our website: www.gsaforsafeschoo ls.org